A NATIONAL CONFERENCE
Presented by the Confederation of University Faculty Associations of British Columbia (CUFA BC)
DATE: January 18-19, 2024
- Fairmont Hotel Vancouver (daytime conference event) – 900 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC
- Hyatt Regency Vancouver (overnight guests) – 655 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC
*NOTE CHANGE OF DAYTIME LOCATION
Due to an unforeseen circumstance, we will be hosting the daytime conference at the neighbouring Fairmont Hotel Vancouver while overnight guests will stay at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver. We apologize for the inconvenience of having the event and hotel in separate venues. However, we are grateful to these two hotel and conference venues for their joint efforts in supporting this event.
University governance reached a turning point in the pandemic that exposed fundamental flaws in institutional decision-making. Administrations say the pre-pandemic rules and structures are outdated, and no longer serve the purposes they once did. Senates and faculty say they’re displaced from shared governance, their authority and autonomy in decision-making eroded. Faculty associations participate in university governance, but their role is historically peripheral and ambiguous. The overarching questions behind this conference are: What is the state of university governance today, and can it survive modern day challenges? Is there a defined role for faculty associations in the governance model of today’s university?
This national conference will provide valuable opportunity for faculty, staff, university administrators, government policymakers, and other stakeholders to shape the future of university governance.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. Please contact administrator at [email protected]
- State of the Union: Current issues in university governance
- Use it or lose it: Faculty roles and responsibilities in university governance
- Legislation, lobbying, bargaining: The role of government and unions in university governance?
- Survive or thrive: What is the future of university governance?
- Building bridges: On facilitating collaboration between senate and board
- EDI & university governance: Indigenizing the academy
- A roundtable discussion among attendees
Graphic recording images of discussion by Sam Bradd of Drawing Change
Copyright permission: Anyone can use the images freely for non-commercial, non-derivative use.
Thanks for the amazing work, Sam! You captured our discussions in creative ways, and it was a marvel to watch you in process!
Conference cancellations: Up to 30 days before the event, we can process requests to cancel registration in which we will return the conference fee (minus a small fee of ~$14 related to the Stripe direct pay app). We cannot process cancellations within 30 days of the event because the food and conference related expenses will have been finalized with the hotel. Please email [email protected] for all cancellation requests.
Conference presented by